Day 12: the east coast! almost there!
1) Went to sleep in Huntsville. Before bed, Kasey watched the rest of a Daredevil episode that SHE had fallen asleep through the night before. Not me! She! We’re the same!
2) Woke up in Huntsville (phew! would be weird if I didn’t) and we hit the road for Greenville, SC, aka Shaheenville! (My friend Nick Shaheen from Greenville set up the show there, and he’s great, like a whole town full of greatness!)
3) Checked into our hotel in Greenville. Heard a man in front of us who was having a rough day say to the clerk, “If you had the kind of day I had, you’d be down at the corner looking for the crack-man.” I don’t think this man had any real experience with crack-people. But I hope he’s having a better day today.
4) Went to Whole Foods. Stocked up on food for the next day’s drive, and food for our current stomach situations. The future and the present! Two out of the three times that don’t really exist because only now does and maybe even not that!
5) Didn’t go to Trader Joe’s as well because maybe we didn’t have time to get to the show and also do that and I’m sorry Kasey that Whole Foods didn’t have the wasabi peas you wanted but I love you.
6) Went to the Warehouse Theatre where my show would happen shortly. Did a brief interview with a local reporter. “Did she ask fun questions that you enjoyed answering?” “Yes she did.” “Were they as simple and straightforward as these?” “They were even better.” “What kind of journalism is this? Self-journalism? Is that a thing?” Sure, why not, triple question/answer!”
7) Did super fun show hosted by the aforementioned Nick Shaheen, featuring lovely comedians/people/friends new and old Cary Goff, Minori Hinds, and Ismail Loutfi. The show also featured a wonderful audience. (AS HAVE THE REST OF THE SHOWS ON THE TOUR. IF YOU WERE IN ONE OF THOSE AUDIENCES, YOU WERE ALSO WONDERFUL.)
8) Watched a couple Broad City episodes before going to sleep. THAT SHOW IS GREAT. DO YOU WATCH IT? RECOMMENDED!
9) Slept. Woke. Readying to leave Greenville. Just saw that Trader Joe’s opens at 8 and that’s when we’re hitting the road so maybe Kasey will get her wasabi peas after all!
10) And finally for now, a wasabi pea-based rhyme for Kasey…
“wasabi! hot like a tamale. also like your smile that i like providing you not like a job or a hobby, but just something i enjoy bobbing for like apples, you’re made from the best stuff on earth, just like snapple, and this rap’ll cover every aisle in the grocery store, or maybe not quite every, but listen closely more, and i’ll show you the score, which is nothing to nothing, or infinite to infinite, either way we’re tied, and we’re also tied with winning it, no limits, except for time and space and maybe not those, read my mind and face, and we’ll climb to places we can find with grace, like maybe trader joe’s now, i’m on the case! to put a smile on the face of my love, Kase…”
Day 11: Chillin’ like a Huntsvillain
Day 10: NOLA? Yes LA! (New Orleans, yes Louisiana!)
Today’s Totally Terrific Tantalizingly Tallied Top Ten Tour Tale Topics!
Day 9: LA LA LAF LAF LAFAYETTE!
1) Had dinner at Masala, an Indian restaurant where I saw no Indian people. Louisiana! The food was delicious. I like okra. It’s more than OK. It’s RA! (Powerful like the Egyptian sun god, or a cheerleader’s cheer, or as responsible as a Resident Assistant.)
2) Saw many billboards advertising the best “boudins.” Didn’t know what a boudin was, but now I know where the best ones are. It’s a thing made of pigs usually, I hear, and it sort of reminds me of the word “poutine,” but that’s from Canada. If you want a boudin/poutine sandwich, you have to use those two things as bread and the United Sates is the meat of that sandwich. And if the United States is meat, then being vegan is patriotic! Did I trick everyone?
3) Saw a billboard that said “Eighteen-wheeler accident? Call this number.” Apparently this is where enough eighteen-wheelers get into accidents that it’s worth advertising to them specifically… is there a way to transfer that energy into a business that prevents eighteen-wheelers from getting into accidents? I hope so! Be safe, everyone! However many wheels your wheeler is wheeling.
4) Stopped at Starbucks, a non-Indian coffee place where I saw many non-Indians.
5) Did a real fun show at JP’s in Lafayette, LA with Jason Leonard, Charles-Thomas Vidrine, and Alex Jennings.
6) After the show, a woman came up to Kasey and said something like “I just want to tip you for being so beautiful to look at during this whole show,” and gave her five dollars. I sold some CDs as well, but not for being beautiful. Maybe my comedy is beautiful though.
7) A lot of people took pictures with me. That’s nice! One picture ended up on Twitter with the caption “Got to meet my favorite comedian tonight at JP’s!” That’s nice!
8) A lot of people thanked me for coming to Lafayette, and also asked me why I came to Lafayette. One reason I came is that there are so many people to thank me for coming! Also they asked me to come and offered me money and a fun show. Those things were not empty promises! I’m told the comedy scene here is only about two years old, but it’s performing at a seven-year-old reading level! Real fun times in Lafayette.
9) Continued the nighttime tradition of falling asleep during Daredevil. Thinking of renaming the tour the “Falling Asleep While Watching Daredevil” tour.
10) Today’s rhyme goes out to Kasey’s ear, and/or her other ear:
“your ear hurts, and i’m sure it’s not the sheer worst but the thing i hope for you is that you’ll always feel cheer first, and as we steer across this here earth, my dear person, my peer in mirth, glee spurts as we hit the road feet first, or wheels first as steam bursts and my esteem flirts with yours, we traverse, a team perfectly careening furth (forth but pronounced like colin, your dream firth), and i keenly wean this pristine (?) verse to go into your eyes, typing is ear-averse, and into your brain and heart where you don’t hear hurts, my love, i want you to do the opposite of feel worse. i hope ‘a lot’ is what my wishes for you to heal’s worth.”
1) Had a big day yesterday full of fun active things, so we spent the evening doing fun passive things. Watched almost a whole Daredevil episode without falling asleep!